Algemeen – 18 May 2023 door Abmi Handayani
Are you an international with interest to work in transport and logistics in the Netherlands? Then you come to the right page!
The transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands is a crucial component of the Dutch economy. The country’s strategic location and well-developed infrastructure have made it a hub for international trade, making it an attractive place for professionals looking for job opportunities in the sector.
In this blog post, we will provide an overview of the transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands, the job opportunities available, and the qualifications and skills required to enter and excel in this industry.
The Netherlands is one of the largest logistics hubs in the world with Rotterdam the largest port in Europe, serving as a gateway to international markets. The country’s extensive network of highways, railways, and waterways connects it to all major European markets, making it a crucial transportation hub.
The transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands includes various sub-sectors, including road transport, air transport, maritime transport, and logistics services. The sector employs over 100.000 people, and it is expected to grow in the coming years due to the increasing demand for transportation and logistics services.
The transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands offers various job opportunities for professionals at different levels. Some of the most popular job roles in the sector include:
- Logistics manager that oversees the entire logistics process, including planning, coordination, and execution.
- Warehouse supervisor that is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of a warehouse, including inventory management and shipment coordination.
- Truck drivers who are responsible for transporting goods from one place to another using heavy-duty vehicles.
- Warehouse employee who is responsible for handling cargo shipments by air, including packaging, loading, and unloading.
Qualifications and skills required
To work in the transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands, you need to have the necessary qualifications and skills. Some of the key requirements include:
- Education: a degree in logistics or supply chain management is preferred, but not mandatory. However, having a relevant degree or experience can increase your chances of getting a job.
- Language skills: the ability to speak Dutch and English is essential for most jobs in the sector, as the Netherlands is an international hub. In a nutshell, mastering these two languages improves your opportunity to get your desired job in the industry. Need to improve your Dutch? Check out the municipality office in your city as they usually provide free Dutch courses that are run by volunteers or invest in Dutch courses.
- Technical skills: in general, a good understanding of logistics software and technology is crucial for most job roles in the sector. But depending on which sector you will choose, transport or logistics, each will have their own set of requirements. The truck drivers positions for example, will require the candidates to have C or CE driving licence, code 95, and driver pass to start with. On the other hand, when applying to a logistic employee position at warehouse, sometimes the companies are looking for candidates with forklift certificates.
- Interpersonal skills: effective communication, teamwork, and problem-solving skills are essential for success in the sector.
The transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands is a dynamic and fast-growing industry that offers various job opportunities for professionals. With its strategic location, well-developed infrastructure and international connections, the Netherlands is an attractive destination for job seekers in the sector.
To excel in the transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands you need to have the necessary qualifications and skills. A relevant degree or experience, language skills, and interpersonal skills are some of the key requirements for most job roles in the sector.
If you’re interested in working in the transport and logistics sector in the Netherlands, there are various job opportunities available for you. Start by exploring the job roles mentioned above and applying for suitable positions. And to start with, kindly click here to check out the open vacancies at Sterk Talent!